CORTO.REV is currently seeking a Director, Corporate Communications for BDC. The position is based in Montreal, Toronto, Quebec City or Ottawa (hybrid).
Your mission : Reporting to the Assistant Vice President, External Communications, you will:
- Provide leadership in media relations, financial and corporate communications, translation and editing services, and external DEI and ESG communications;
- Be responsible for the design and oversight of external communications programs, including a hands-on approach to managing sensitive and complex reputational risks;
- Ensure the delivery of corporate communications projects within given budgets and standards, ensuring that they lead entrepreneurs to trust BDC and develop a positive predisposition when considering its products and services;
- Manage and coach the development of a high performing, creative and dedicated team responsible for the delivery of the company’s national communications and related communications products and activities (e.g. annual report, annual general meeting).
Your first-year objectives:
- Develop strong relationships with your team and mobilize them towards achieving ambitious goals.
- Reconfirm relationships with all stakeholders and position yourself as a trusted partner.
- Lead the revision of the Bank’s reputational risk program (identification of new reputational risks, how they are addressed and development of tools to mitigate them).
DNA of the person we are looking for:
- You’re creative, you like to challenge the status quo, you’re known for your ability to see and make others see things differently and stimulate curiosity in others; you’re a risk-taker and test new approaches, even if it’s not perfect the first time;
- You have a proven track record of meeting deadlines and completing projects despite unforeseen complications and changing circumstances;
- You are proactive, courageous, enjoy urgency and are a pragmatic and determined problem solver; you stay the course in difficult times and live well with uncertainty;
- You have a vision for the evolving role of public relations in a sales-oriented organization while serving the mission of helping Canada and its entrepreneurs create a prosperous, inclusive and green economy;
- You are a manager-coach who is committed to the development of your team;
- You master the impact of social networks on the ecosystem;
- You are tactful and diplomatic with the ability to proactively bring about difficult but necessary conversations to prevent situations from escalating;
- You have a collaborative spirit and a sense of teamwork that allows you to establish positive and productive working relationships at the local, regional and corporate levels.
Your specific responsibilities:
- Develop strategies for managing complex and sensitive reputational issues, crises, requests for approval, draft messages and liaise with the Employee Communications and Social Media team to ensure consistency in terms of internal and external messaging. Identify any situations that may impact BDC’s reputation.
- Oversee the management of the translation, proofreading and editing function for the Bank, ensuring the overall and consistent quality of all corporate documents.
- Represent BDC in discussions and negotiations with shareholder communications teams including ISDE, Finance and other government partners by ensuring a coordinated approach and smooth and timely transfer of information, working closely with the Government Relations team.
- Ensure the maintenance and application of the corporate reputational risk guideline, including advising the Integrated Risk Management team on emerging reputational risks, how they are addressed and the development of tools to prevent them. Conduct quarterly reporting to the Operational Risk Management Committee.
- Oversee the development and implementation of strategies and day-to-day community management of social media for the Chief Economist, as well as for BDC Capital.
- Interact with reporters and editors on behalf of BDC and its senior executives on often sensitive, confidential and complex topics.
- Maintain and ensure compliance with and regular updates to corporate communications guidelines (e.g. public notices, media relations protocols).
- Set annual goals for KPIs that measure success and alignment of each activity/event, including increased visibility, engagement and sentiment. Oversee KPI performance and implement corrective actions, if necessary.
- Ensure a high level of awareness of corporate communications activities among BDC employees to ensure a coordinated and unified approach with other regional, local and industry activities.
- Establish and reinforce processes and standards that promote efficiency, change management and communications excellence.
- Manage financial resources related to the team’s activities.
- Champion cross-functional communications and relationships.
What we’re looking for:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in French and English.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or equivalent training.
- At least seven years of communications experience in a medium to large organization with a national presence, with experience in the following areas: public relations, crisis management, social media.
- Five years of experience leading a team and managing budgets.
- Experience in policy and process development and implementation.
- Experience in financial communications.
- Experience in other areas of marketing and communications an asset.
No other bank is doing what we do.
At BDC, we help Canada and its entrepreneurs create a prosperous, inclusive and green economy. Our mission is to help Canadian businesses thrive by providing financing, capital and advisory services. We’re devoted to Canadian entrepreneurs. We’re also dedicated to our employees. Adaptable. Inspiring. Different. There’s a reason we like to work here, and we think you’ll like it too. Join BDC and help make a difference!
Diversity. Equity. Inclusion. They’re more than just words for BDC. These concepts are foundational to our success and to our ability to attract, retain, mobilize and develop the right talent, as well as to offer a healthy, professional and collaborative environment. We are committed to cultivating and preserving an environment where all employees can thrive, and, for over a decade, we have been recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of your education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation, beliefs, experiences, and more.
With us, you’ll be able to achieve the work/life balance you’re looking for, with competitive working conditions and above-market flexible benefits. This includes modern workspaces to work from when you are in our offices, and, for some specific positions, the ability to work remotely, on reserve, and/or within your community.
Important Point to Consider
Vaccination Policy for COVID-19: The health, well-being and safety of our colleagues, clients and of the community are a top priority for us. Effective November 8, 2021, BDC requires that all employees and consultants be fully vaccinated. A solemn declaration will be requested to this effect.
If you have read so far and are interested in the opportunity, please contact Sylvie Malo: firstname.lastname@example.org