We are currently recruiting a Director, Economic Research for the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC). The Director, Economic Research reports to the Vice President, Research and Chief Economist. This position is based in Montreal.
This position has been filled! Thanks for your interest! Follow us on social media to keep up-to-date with the latest job opportunities, or check out our jobs section here.
The Director, Economic Research reports to the Vice President, Research and Chief Economist and is responsible for developing and deploying the strategic economic research activities. The incumbent is also responsible for planning and implementing the Economic Research team’s vision and strategy aligned with BDC’s mission. The Director proactively and continuously monitors and analyzes events in BDC’s internal and external environment to provide intellectual leadership with respect to both short-term tactics and long-term visioning and positioning. He/she provides leadership and direction to the team of economists.
- In collaboration with the Vice President, Research & Chief Economist and in line with the strategic/corporate planning, develop the BDC Economic research agenda
- Act as a subject matter expert by providing economic analysis, strategic advices and options on policy issues, economic competitiveness, small and medium-size business issues, etc., that affect the strategic direction of BDC
- Conduct economic/financial studies and manage external studies and projects on BDC’s role and impact on the Canadian economy, such as the financial performance of Canadian small and medium-size (SME) business
- Oversee the operations and activities of a team of economists; ensure that the team provides high-quality information in a timely manner and with high internal client satisfaction levels
- Oversee needs assessment, analyze their impacts on BDC operations and make recommendations in areas of strategic importance and policy implications, such as SME economic developments, the financial services sector and the economic environment
- Manage and disseminate up-to-date knowledge and data on the economy, SMEs and their markets to support BDC’s knowledge strategy
- Perform research and maintain knowledge on substantive areas having a bearing on BDC activities, such as the economy, the financial sector policy framework, Canadian SME and the public policy environment
- Keep abreast of fiscal, monetary, industrial and regional developments in the economy and of the activities of other financial institutions and identify market opportunities
PREFERRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND/EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in economics or other appropriate area of specialty. Ph.D. in economics would be an asset.
- More than 10 years of experience in an applied researcher position where writing research reports intended for a variety of audiences was required.
- 3 to 5 years in a management role
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCIES
- Good understanding of the financial/economic sector, at a national level
- Extensive knowledge of Canadian business sectors and industries
- Business acumen in order to determine topics of interest for research in BDC’s context
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to interact directly with senior management members and employees across the organization
- Strong analytical, conceptual thinking and diagnostic abilities.
- Able to manage a team of highly specialized professionals, including training and coaching
- Ability to adapt to frequently changing priorities while continuing to pursue key portfolio objectives.
- Ability to coordinate various different projects.
- Fluent in both official languages (both verbal and written).
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
To apply for this position, please send your application letter and CV to Sylvie Malo: firstname.lastname@example.org